Located on the southern bank of the Yangtze River, Suojiang Tower is just a short bus trip from Jiujiang City. The name is given to a group of ancient buildings including Suojiang Tower, Wenfeng Pagoda (Huilong Pagoda), four iron oxen and nearby buildings. The tower has become the symbol of Jiujiang City.
Suojiang Tower was firstly built in 1558 by an official of Jiujiang City, Wu Xiu in Ming Dynasty. It was built to provide a warning to the town’s residents of sudden flooding of approaching raiders. It took eighteen years for the tower to be built and was funded by public donations. Suojiang Tower has three stories and is surrounded by four iron oxen.
A pagoda was built near Suojiang Tower – Huilong Pagoda, also known as Wenfeng Pagoda. Standing at a height of about 35 meters (about 115 feet), people can ascend to the top of the Pagoda via a wooden staircase, where they can view Jiujiang City and the Yangtze River. Suojiang Pagoda is built of stone, making its seven stories very solid.
In the Second World War the Japanese invaders shelled Jiujiang City. Suojiang Pagoda was caught in the bombardment. In 2004, the local government restored Suojiang Tower and Pagoda in order to preserve these fantastic examples of ancient architecture. Both are well worth a visit while you are in Jiangxi.
Location: Binjiang Road, Xunyang District, Jiujiang
Entrance Fee: RMB 20